On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 6:38 AM David Nelson via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 7:51 PM, Alan Arrison via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
> wrote:
> > I guarantee that the inferior Chinese cells will change capacity as they
> are
> > cycled and not by just a few percent.
> >
> > Running them without a BMS is a recipe for disaster. Damaged cells at
> best,
> > a fire at worst.
> >
> > All the Chinese cells are junk, especially the CALBS.
> >
> > Al
>
> I'm so glad my cells didn't talk to you! Manufactured 11/2009,
> installed and on the road 1/2010. No attached BMS other than split
> pack voltage monitor since 7/2011 and all 40 cells are doing just fine
> when checked in 3/2018. End of charge voltage 3.465V held for 45 min
> during the CV stage with current tapering to 0A.
>
> Clearly your abslolute about Chinese cells doesn't fit. Sorry you had
> a bad experience.

I have a lot of miles on CALBs too, probably 100k in total on personal
vehicles. One still in use with 50k miles and no BMS.  I dismantled a car
with a CALB pack recently too - somewhere around 9 year old cells, they
still had 90% of rated capacity.

I also sent around half a ton of CALB cells to be analysed / recycled by a
university research team.  Those had been run dead flat by a badly designed
BMS in a commercial conversion.

They're rather low power density but in my experience very reliable and
will last a long time if not abused.

 YMMV!