On 18 Nov 2021 at 5:21, Steves via EV wrote:

>  I donTMt think I have ever run across a broken station [in Quebec province].

That's welcome news.  As the song says, the plural of anecdote is not data,
but in 2016 a friend brought back some EV photos from a Vancouver visit.
There were several of on-street EV charging points, including a Chargepoint
pedestal neatly nestled between two attractive redwood planters on a
sidewalk - and wearing an "Out of Order" sign.  :-\

But the good news was that even then, there were MANY charging points on
Canadian streets, or at least Vancouver ones.  I didn't and don't have
numbers, but like yours, my impression was of a better "charging point
density" there than here.

Some of the photos showed EVs using those points, I think all of Teslas and
Nissan Leaves.  Maybe those were the most photogenic.  :-)

It was encouraging to see that, but I remember thinking that the charging
Teslas looked like they presented more of a tripping hazard than the
Nissans.  The Nissans had charging ports in their noses, but the Teslas had
them in the left rear quarter panel.  Thus when the Teslas were parked at
the curb, the charging cable had to lie on the street and snake round the
back of the car.  That surely created more exposure for potential tripping
and/or cable damage.

Since then I've noticed that while ICEV fuel fillers are usually on the left
rear and occasionally on the right rear, there's much less consistency in EV
charging port locations.  You might find the port on the left rear quarter,
right rear quarter, left front fender, right front fender, or nose.

Some designers of expensive EVs seem to realize that this might be a
problem, and include more than one charging port.

This has implications, and not just for public charging.  If you're an
architect designing apartment or condo garages, and you need to include EV
charging, where do you put the EVSE?  Left rear, right rear, front?

Maybe this isn't a big deal - just park appropriately (though I'm not sure
you can do that legally on the street).  Still, it seems like we've missed a
standarization opportunity here.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which
     dictatorships are made.

                                      -- Franklin Delano Roosevelt