On 26 Jan 2022 at 20:28, Paul Wujek via EV wrote:

> https://carnewschina.com/2022/01/23/dongfeng-e70-launched-with-a-solid-state-b
> attery-50-demonstration-cars-delivered/

Thanks Paul.  That's an interesting piece.

It links to another which, to me, is even more interesting:

https://carnewschina.com/2022/01/24/solid-state-battery-explained-when-its-
coming-to-mass-production/

Shortcut: https://v.gd/CKxtap

That one is written for the layman, with a fairly comprehensible discussion
of the technology.  However, as one such person, I have no way to evaluate
its accuracy, or to judge whether its optimism is justified.

It mentions lithium polymer construction as originating in the late 2000s.
That was the first red flag for me.  I recall reading about lithium polymer
batteries much earlier than that.  If memory serves, it was in the late
1980s.

What I read then was, like this article, brightly optimistic.  Lithium
polymer was claimed to be the EV battery we were all waiting for.  And then
like so many other miracle EV batteries, lithium polymer faded from EV
discussion in the years that followed.  So perhaps y'all can forgive me for
being skeptical.

The other revelation in the linked article is that the Ganfeng/Dongfeng
battery "most likely" (?)  isn't a true solid state battery, but still uses
some liquid electrolyte.  The writer admits that "real SSBĀ“s using Li-OH are
probably at least five years away."  To me, again as a layman and longtime
EV observer, that's another red flag.  I couldn't count the number of highly
promoted alleged battery innovations that have been 5 years away.

The discussion of lithium sulfur batteries also brought back memories of
sodium sulfur batteries (I know, not the same thing).  I read about Ford's
development of NaS batteries around 1967.  Ford sold the rights (to ABB
maybe?), but tried them in a fleet of prototype small vans in the early
1990s.  They had an unsettling propensity for catching fire, bringing that
project to an early and abrupt end.

Clearly lithium sulfur is different but the safety and production obstacles
still sound quite formidable.

Getting back to the not-quite-solid electrolyte batteries discussed in the
first article, Dongfeng has built 50 cars with what are essentially limited-
production experimental batteries.  And they're not even radically  improved
in performance, but rather are an incremental improvement on existing
lithium ion batteries.

I'd like to hear from someone with long term expertise in this arena,
someone who has a perspective on whether this is as big a deal as is
claimed.  To me - again the skeptical layman - this doesn't seem like a
world-changing development - at least not yet.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     Authoritarianism begins when we can no longer tell the difference
     between the true and the appealing.

                                                     -- Timothy Snyder