On 11 Feb 2022 at 17:09, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:

> States are getting the go-ahead to build a nationwide network of
> electric vehicle charging stations that would place new or upgraded ones every
> 50 miles along interstate highways as part of the Biden administrationTMs
> plan to spur widespread adoption of the zero-emission cars.

That's welcome news.  I hope $5b is enough.

Maybe I'm not being realistic but I'd like to see other non-EV-related
incentives to accept and use the funding.  I suspect that the more forward-
looking states will take advantage of it, while the backward ones and those
firmly in bed with big oil (Texas etc) won't.  But at least that gets more
public chargoing points into states where EVs are more likely to be adopted.

> "Many might think of [EVs] as a luxury item," he said.

Bunk.  That's a bog-standard anti-EV talking point dating back to the $100k
Tesla Model S days.  It needs to die but never will.  The elitist ultra-rich
anti-EV crowd will continue to rail against "elitist" middle class EV owners
because it gets results for them.

> The reality is [that] nobody benefits more from EVs in principle than
> those who drive the longest distances, often our rural Americans.

I'm obviously pro-EV, and it's theoretically true, but I think that a fair
number of people will go "say what?" at that.

> Biden also has set a goal of 50% electric vehicle sales by 2030, part
> of a broader effort to become zero emissions economywide by 2050.

Great goal.  Getting there is going to require a LOT more pushing.  And the
USPS vehicle update PMG-lit dumpster fire is a disaster for a goal like that
- 90% ICEVs getting 8.5mpg.  Good grief.

> Electric vehicles amounted to less than 3% of U.S. new auto sales last
> year, but forecasters expect big increases in the next decade.

"Big increases."  Don't hold your breath.

In Europe, unquestionably.  Also in some isolated but open-minded small
nations such as Uruguay. Maybe in China.  Doubtful in Japan and US, and
extremely unlikely elsewhere.

> Electric vehicle owners now charge their vehicles at home 80% of the
> time, making the need for EV charging stations at colleges,
> apartment-building parking lots or even public streets less urgent. But
> that is likely to change as more people who don't have a garage to
> house a charging station buy EVs.

Wait, what?  Colleges and apartment parking lots ARE places where potential
EV owners would charge *at home*.  They aren't in the same category as on-
street or public parking lot charging.

Actually, ALL of the above can provide home charging.  To me the use of
public charging has been a major surprise in Europe.  I expected slower EV
uptake there because so many people don't have garages or even off-street
parking.

Even Renault, arguably the EU's EV leader, fouled this up.  They didn't
bother with Zoe DC CCS for 7 years, because they assumed that most owners
would charge at home.  When they finally added it in 2020, they made it a 1k
euro (!) option and limited it to 50kW.

But lo and behold, Europe's EV buyers seem to be really digging the free
charging offered by local governments and merchants - even though thanks in
part to Renault's bork it's mostly 7kW / 22kW AC.

What happens when that's saturated and starts to require payment?  Stay
tuned.

Anyway, this is mosty good news, and I hope that it improves the highway
charging situation all across the US.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     The future is here, and everything needs to be destroyed.

                                        -- Allegheny Shredders