"Lawmakers in the European Parliament plenary voted Wednesday to mandate
that all new car and van sales should be zero emissions from 2035 as part of
efforts to clean up road transport.

"Lawmakers backed the final report on revised vehicle CO2 emission standards
legislation with 339 in favor, 249 against and with 24 abstentions.

"The legislation is a key part of the Fit for 55 package and mandates that
carmakers should reduce their fleetwide emission averages by 100 percent
from 2035, with interim steps in 2025 and 2030. Parliament's position
maintains the Commission's original 2035 phaseout date."

Full story:

https://www.politico.eu/article/european-parliament-votes-to-ban-combustion-
engine-cars-from-2035/

Shortcut URL:

https://v.gd/RHCRCJ

-----

I worry that EU automakers may to try evading this mandate by heavily
advertising trucks, just as US automakers did here to defeat CAFE.

So far though they seem to be cooperating, with every major EU brand already
offering EVs.

For 2022 as of end April, 21% of new car sales in Europe were EVs.  In
Norway it was 84%, Sweden 48%, Germany 24%, France 21%, and UK 16%.

For comparison, US EV sales are up for 2022 Q1, to a record 4.6% of vehicle
sales.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which
     dictatorships are made.

                                      -- Franklin Delano Roosevelt