On 30 Aug 2023 at 18:28, Lee Hart via EV wrote:

> Exactly! So why is this never mentioned in any public discussion of EVs
> by the various reviewers, talking heads, and pundits? Every single
> article or news program I've seen or heard ignores home charging, and
> instead stresses the "need" for a vast public charging infrastructure.

I suspect that many alleged journalists have no real experience with EVs,
and simply can't let go of the filling station model.  Of course making EVs
look inconvenient is just fine with Big Oil and some automakers.

That said, public charging IS critical in some places.  Europe is all in for
EVs, and they recognize that - especially in the large cities - many people
don't have off-street parking.

Nevertheless, from 2012 tol 2019, Renault specifically said that they
expected most of their Zoe buyers to charge at home.  They therefore didn't
bother to offer DC fast charging until 2020.

I live in a small rural French town and the situation here is different
from, say, Paris or Nice.  While many houses don't have garages or off
street parking, often the houses are so close to the street that you can
just pass a charging cable out your front window.  Our former neighbor
charged his Zoe that way.

Most houses in the ritzier neighborhoods on the edge of town have garages.
Still further out in the hamlets, houses have more land, and therefore have
off-street parking, even if not always in a barn or garage.

So quite a few people can and do charge at home.

For those who can't, there's paid public charging in the center of town, and
the supermarket offers free 22kw AC charging while you shop.

The charging situation seems to work for a fair number of people, because
even in this small town (population < 4000), I see a lot more EVs than I
ever did when I lived in Ohio.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     There are only nine meals between mankind and anarchy.

                                     -- Alfred Henry Lewis

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/