It sure does sound as if the car detected something wrong with the battery.
It's my understanding that they did the 80% update instead of replacing
packs so that they could see which packs were actually bad and which ones
were not. If your pack isn't bad then it lets you go back to 100% and life
is good. But, sounds like this pack was one of the "bad" ones and so it is
heavily limiting things. As such, they should replace it under warranty.