Most EVs do it right and measure or calculate the AC input current and
match it to the pilot signal's advertised max allowed current draw.
Some EVs, I forgot which brand but we did detect this while testing the
JuiceBox compatibility with all known brands of EV, but there were that
appeared to determine the input voltage, multiplied that by the allowed max
current to get the allowed power draw and then apparently programmed their
charger to draw that power. Likely they only had accurate voltage and
current measurement on the battery DC side. The problem was as the load
increased and the voltage dropped, the constant power draw caused the
current to go up, so the weaker the circuit, the higher the current draw...
If anyone remembers the Vectrix freeway capable scooters: this problem is
what blew all Vectrix chargers when charged with a long extension cord,
which is almost unavoidable, because who can park their scooter next to an
outlet?

Note that some versions of the Nissan Leaf convenience charger did monitor
the temperature of the wall plug contacts and lower the power draw when
overheating. You can recognise that variant from a very fat grey right
angle plug and the short AC cord was unusually thick, because it had 2
additional wires in there for the temperature sensor in the plug.
Cor.