... and if you've been thinking that you don't really need the long range
and humongous size of recent EVs, you might be getting your way soon - at
least if you live in Europe.

-----

Fear of cheap Chinese EVs spurs automaker dash for affordable cars

By Nick Carey and Paul Lienert
December 8, 20236:14 AM UTC

Full article:

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/fear-cheap-chinese-evs-
spurs-automaker-dash-affordable-cars-2023-12-08/

or https://v.gd/OABp6n

Excerpts:

LONDON/DETROIT, Dec 8 (Reuters) - The rise of inexpensive Chinese electric
vehicles has upped the pressure on legacy automakers who have turned to
suppliers, from battery materials makers to chipmakers, to squeeze out costs
and develop affordable EVs quicker than previously planned. [...]

Renault (RENA.PA) said last month it plans 40% cost reductions for its EVs
to reach price parity with fossil-fuel models.

Stellantis (STLAM.MI) is building a European plant with China's CATL
(300750.SZ) to make cheaper LFP batteries and recently unveiled the Citroen
electric e-C3 SUV, which starts at 23,300 euros ($24,540).

Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) and Tesla (TSLA.O) are developing 25,000-euro EVs.

Vincent Pluvinage, CEO of Palo Alto, California-based OneD Battery Sciences,
said that on his recent visits with European automaker customers, every
meeting started with the same refrain: "'Reducing costs is now more
important than anything else.'" [...]

GM said it has saved billions partly by developing a more inexpensive
battery pack with LFP batteries for its revamped Bolt EV, which will launch
in 2025, two years earlier than planned.

Ford (F.N) said it will cut costs partly through a 50% increase in "in-
sourcing" of parts like batteries and inverters. [...]

"What we hear from carmakers today is, 'We don't need longer range, we want
lower costs,'" Biton said.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     Yogi Berra said, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
     I've collected a lot of silverware that way.

                                         -- Mark Stanley, "Freefall"

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/