On 20 Dec 2023 at 19:31, Bobby Keeland via EV wrote:

> Problems with these control arms have been known to Tesla for years,
> but they didnTMt redesign them for years. We were charged $197.02 to
> replace a component that was known to be faulty. So much for the
> makers of Tesla having the safest cars on the road.

You have to wonder what they were thinking, or if they were thinking at all.
I'd hate to imagine that they made a crassly commercial boardroom decision
like Ford did with the Pinto.

Remember that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mqu-gRqt3g

Ford decided that it was cheaper to pay off the relatives of people who died
in rear-ended Pintos than it would be to redesign the car's gas tank.  I
can't even imagine that kind of inhumanity, but we're talking about Elon
Musk here, so who knows?

On 20 Dec 2023 at 21:14, EV@TucsonEV via EV wrote:

> So in just in a year Toyota has had recalls for 3,651,000 cars.
> Globally, Toyota sold around 10.48 million vehicles between January
> and December 2022, so their 2023 number should be similar. That means
> that about 34% of their vehicles had recalls...

I think that to be really fair, you'd have to look at the total number of
Toyota recalls vs the total number of Toyote vehicles currently on the road,
and the total number of Tesla recalls vs the total number of Tesla vehicles
on the road.  I'm kind of busy and don't have time to run those numbers
right now.  Maybe someone else will have the time to run the stats, or maybe
I can do it later.

Another factor to consider is how Toyota handled them, vs Tesla.  Someone
please correct my memory if need be, but IIRC Toyota did fight the stuck-
Prius-accelerator recall, then eventually knuckled under and made some minor
changes in the car.  OTOH when the same cars (and maybe other Toyotas) had
problems with the brake actuator, they extended the warranty on that part
and fixed most of them for free, even on old cars.

That seems to contrast with Tesla blaming drivers for suspension failures,
and charging them for the repairs.  I'll tell ya right now, if Renault did
that to me here, I'd never buy another Renault.  So safety aside, it's good
business for Tesla to stand behind their cars

Now mind you, it's possible that Tesla actually did fix many of the
suspension and driveline failures for free, but we only hear about the ones
that they didn't.

Japan has a strong culture of shame for failures.  I've not seen any
indication that Elon Musk ever feels any shame for ANYTHING.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in
     humanity. It eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals, and
     lets us get straight to the business of hate, debauchery,
     and self-annihilation.

                                               -- Johnny Hart

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/