On Sat, 13 Apr 2024 at 16:13, EV List Lackey via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> They wanted the EU to allow something that didn't - and still doesn't -
> actually exist in the real world: "E-fuels," synthetic fuels made from
> electrolyzed hydrogen and CO2 (somehow) captured from the atmosphere.

Whilst they may not exist at scale, they do exist. I have a supplier
just 40 miles away and have run a tank of it in my Lotus Excel.

> It's not tough to see the gross inefficiency inherent in such fuels.

Yes and the cost reflects that. I took advantage of a publicity event
to try a tank of Sustain 80 (80% blend). I'm normally paying £1.50 per
Litre for 99 Octane (RON), 94 (PON). I don't have an up to date price
for Sustain 80 (98 RON), but it was about £4.60 per litre in June last
year. Most of the cost of my normal fuel is tax. Most of the cost of
Sustain is energy. That energy requirement won't ever change.

SAF (sustainable aircraft fuel) is also a real thing and is being used
in blends up to 80% by various airlines. 100% blends will be in use
soon once the rubber seals in the fuel systems have been replaced by
PTFE versions during their normal service schedule.

--
Paul Compton
www.paulcompton.co.uk (YouTube channel)