Quite a few years ago, I happened across the Nevco Gizmo EV. Constructed from
the ground up in the USA using locally sourced parts (mostly), it was certainly
a unique vehicle. I felt I had a great deal on the purchase and sunk a few more
simoleans into it, replacing 560 pounds of VRSLA with 200 pounds of LiFePO4,
increasing the voltage from 48 nominal to 66 nominal, 69 off the charger.
With the weight reduction and voltage increase, top speed went from 35 to 52 on
level ground and range was boosted from 15/25 at 50% consumption to 75 miles at
80% consumption. The DC/DC converter didn't like the 69 volts, but a day's
delay off the charger, or a few minutes with the key on and it was happy again.
One aspect of the vehicle was the side stick steering, which people felt would
be a skid-steer environment, but the reality was that it was ordinary
motorcycle feel. Another trip for the alleged mind was the hinge at the top
front access. It's astonishing how many people associated that with the Isetta
(side opening, not top!) but that's how the world turns.
I believe only 36 were produced and my #32 has quite a few of the "upgrades."
This included a belt drive in place of a chain (so much quieter) as well as a
set of F-16 grips for throttle, lights, horn, turn signals. My personal
upgrades were the batteries, of course, but a CycleAnalyst to allow me to keep
track of the pack health and depletion, along with forced air cooling on the
motor, and a gear reduction to increase rpm for yet additional cooling. I was
able to manage four miles per kilowatt hour, which in retrospect isn't
particularly efficient, considering that I can get four and a half miles per
kilowatt hour from our 2013 Rav4EV. Except for the go-cart-stiff bone-breaking
suspension, it was more fun than the Rav4EV.

Prior to the gear reduction and forced cooling, the too-low rpm took its toll
on the brushes and fried them. Pretty inexpensive to replace the motor from NY
state, although it weighs 70 pounds.

A video can be found on the YouTube showing the vehicle without the side
curtains or vinyl windows, which were later installed.

|  |  |

|  |
Gizmo Goes (trip two)

It's not a conversion, but it certainly was a project.
Unfortunately my health prevents me from working on it for possibly as many as
ten years and the pack is kaput, the side curtains and windows are mildewed
beyond belief. Before relegated to the back yard, the motor was problematic,
with a cogging feel unrelated to "normal" expectations. I have a rebuilt motor
in the box ready for impossible-for-me installation, along with the requirement
of replacing the pack, of course. It's a sepex motor, purported to be more
efficient. The controller also supports regen, which was never implemented
while in my hands, nor the previous owner's. Brembo disk brakes for the front
and a rather unusual rear brake primarily for parking/locking out movement. In
a tadpole/reverse trike, one does not wish to lock the lightly loaded rear
wheel, unless swapping ends is on the menu. I never tried to spin out, other
than on a sandy patch, as I didn't want to subject myself to replacing a
hundred dollar herringbone drive belt (back then. How much now?).

If anyone wishes to take on a rebuild project, drop me a line and I'll be happy
to send Barn Find grade photos. No offer considered too absurd. Three ramp
trailer included, but probably needs a bearing repack after sitting for ten
years!