Hoping to find someone that has experience with the early Tesla model S and
X 40A onboard charger.
My S85 actually has 2, having the ability to take up to 80A, up to 20kW
level 2 charging speed.
But, recently it refuses to charge: everything seems ok when plugging in,
but after half a minute the car ramps the current up, as soon as it even
steps to 1 Amp, it fails with warning: "charging slowed - poor grid power
quality possible. Try different charging location.

Well, no problem with the charging location, I have read that this is
likely a problem in the charger or the circuit feeding the AC to the
charger.
Before I rip my rear seat out to get to the dual chargers, I hope someone
has seen this behavior before and can give me a heads up what to expect.
Preferably I have materials for repair at hand and do not need to leave the
car ripped apart for too long, it is in a public location.
I do have the service manual, but that just tells how to remove the onboard
chargers, not how to repair them, though I am comfortable troubleshooting
and soldering...
Cor.