I have not studied the Tesla suspension, but I have done my own adjustments to the wheels of my Leaf. This was necessary following a crash whereby a pickup truck carrying a load of 15 ft long cement pipes on its overhead rack behind me, dumped those on the 101 freeway at 60 MPH due to all traffic braking hard. Those slammed into the rear axle hard enough to bend it by a few degrees. I did not notice it at first until the rear tread started wearing uneven. The Leaf has the rear hubs bolted in a rectangular shape to the rear axle. I measured the angular offset of the rear wheels and calculated how much shimming I needed to get to zero toe. I cost a few bucks to buy thin washer shims of the right ID, I added what was needed and have no more weird wear. If your car has similar hub to axle or suspension mounting, then simply shimming can be a low cost and sure way to correct the problem after careful measurement of toe and camber. Cor.
On Sun, Sep 13, 2026, 6:33 PM Mark Hanson via EV <[email protected]> wrote: > Hi Folks, > > I have about another 50K miles (currently 160K total) on a set of 255/45r19 > tires and taking Phil's suggestion for narrower 235/50r19 (just ordered > Kumho $100 ea Walmart) since mine once again have worn out on the *inner* > side of all 4 tires. For a pricy car, it's amazing there's *no* camber > adjustment. A few years ago when the right front was really bad (more > negative camber than the rest), I loosened the top shock tower bolts and > pushed over with a crowbar the top shock tower to the outside - reducing > somewhat the negative camber on the right front (which was excessively > chewing up tires), checking with a level on outside rim. I might do this > on > the other shock towers. Next time you follow a Tesla, look and see the > wheels from behind: camber looks like / \ > > Typical response/solution I found on Reddit: "I finally broke down and > bought adjustable camber arms, and had an alignment done. Problem solved. > Spending $400 now on arms, will save you many sets of tires. You're heard > of > Tesla's build quality right? Well, don't expect your tires to be square to > the ground, cause they ain't. / \ vs | | Weight of the car has nothing to > do > with it. Camber does". > > > Have a renewable energy day, > > Mark > > Mark E. Hanson > 184 Vista Lane > Fincastle, VA 24090 > 540-473-1248 phone & FAX, 540-816-0812 cell > REEVA: community service RE & EV project club > Website: www.REEVAdiy.org (See Project Gallery) > UL Certified PV Installer > My RE&EV Circuits: www.EVDL.org/lib/mh > REEVA Demo: http://youtu.be/4kqWn2H-rA0 > Fincastle Solar Weather Station > > > > _______________________________________________ > Address messages to [email protected] > No other addresses in TO and CC fields > HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/ > OT: If you use an Android device, please read https://keepandroidopen.org/ >
_______________________________________________ Address messages to [email protected] No other addresses in TO and CC fields HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/ OT: If you use an Android device, please read https://keepandroidopen.org/
