"What would your other brother say is the road to Baghdad?"

Then take the other direction!
                                        Cheers

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 06:18:43PM -0400, John M wrote:
> Dear Bruno,
>
> perhaps the list will forgive me a bit of distraction upon your knight
> and knave koan.
> I call it a koan, because within your conditions there is no right solution
> to either of the questions.
> IMO Problem #1 is open, #2 is subject to unlisted circumstances. (Common
> sense).
> To make the question subject to 'common sense' logic, I put some
> restrictions on (my)
>
> Problem JM:
> "In the desert watch-tower at the fork there are two guards, twins. One
> tells ALWAYS the truth, the other ALWAYS lies. One way leads to Bagdad, the
> other to the lion-desert. You can ask ONE question: to decide which way to
> go to Bagdad. Which one is that
> ONE question getting you the right answer without knowing Which brother is
> on duty?"
> I give you a day, if nobody does so,tomorrow I will post the answer.
>
> John Mikes

may safely ignore this attachment.

A/Prof Russell Standish                  Director
High Performance Computing Support Unit, Phone 9385 6967, 8308 3119 (mobile)
UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         Fax   9385 6965, 0425 253119 (")