Quentin Anciaux writes:

> Nevertheless, I still think
> it would be *extremely* difficult to emulate a whole brain.

while I agree with you about the difficulty to emulate a brain that already
exists (such as emulate you or me for example), I don't think it is as such
difficult as to emulate a conscious being. I remenber not so long ago the
project mindpixel which was about to learn the common sense to a machine.

I do think that passing the turing test is possible, and if it is one day
succesfully passed by a machine (and not once but several time), It will be a proof that we are indeed turing emulable... if it is so, Bruno's theory will
not be far from the truth ;)

I agree: it will be *far* easier to build a conscious machine than to emulate a particular brain, just as it is far easier to build a pump than an exact, cell for cell analogue of a human heart. In the case of the heart the simpler artificial pump might be just as good, but in the case of a brain, the electrical activity of each and every neuron is intrinsically important in the final result.

--Stathis Papaioannou

REALESTATE: biggest buy/rent/share listings http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au