[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> (1)  A general mathematical category is not the same as any specific
> physical thing

But why can't it be reduced to classes of specific physical things? How
can you show that it is necessary for anything corresponding to this
description to 'exist' apart from its instantiations as documented
procedures and actual occurrences of their application? In this case:

(2)  Mathematical entities cannot be removed from our descriptions and
> replaced with something else ( the argument from indispensibility).

would be false, though such removal would be inconvenient (as would
'chair' for that matter). A 'mathematical entity' would then merely
refer to the classes of all descriptions, and all actual occurrences of
the application, of a given procedure - i.e. a human cognitive category
like 'chair', although as you say of greater generality.

David