Brent Meeker writes:

Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> > > Tom Caylor writes (in response to Marvin Minsky): > >> Regarding Stathis' question to you about truth, your calling the idea
>> of believing unsound seems to imply that you are assuming that there is
>> no truth that we can discover.  But on the other hand, if there is no
>> discoverable truth, then how can we know that something, like the
>> existence of freedom of will, is false?
> > That's easy: it's logically impossible. When I make a decision, although > I take all the evidence into account, and I know I am more likely to > decide one way rather than another due to my past experiences and due to > the way my brain works, ultimately I feel that I have the freedom to > overcome these factors and decide "freely". But neither do I feel that > this free decision will be something random: I'm not mentally tossing a > coin, but choosing according to my beliefs and values. Do you see the > contradiction here?
Yes, but it's a contrived contradiction.  You have taken "free" to mean independent of
you where "you" refers to your past experience, the way your brain works, etc.  As
Dennett says, that's not a free will worth having.

Indeed, but it's how people often think of free will. It's even how I think of it, without reflecting on its impossibility.

Stathis Papaioannou