Russel,

We are trying to related the expansion of the universe to decreasing measure. You have presented the interesting equation:

H = C + S

Let's try to assign some numbers.
1) Recently an article appeared in New Scientist stating that we may be living "inside" a black hole, with the event horizon being located at the limit of what we can observe ie the radius of the current observable universe.
2) Stephen Hawking showed that the entropy of a black hole is proportional to its surface area.

S_{BH} = \frac{kA}{4l_{\mathrm{P}}^2}
where where k is Boltzmann's constant, and l_{\mathrm{P}}=\sqrt{G\hbar / c^3} is the Planck length.

Thus we can say that a change in the Universe's radius corresponds to a change in entropy dS. Therefore, dS/dt is proportional to dA/dt and to 8PR(dR/dt)  R being the radius of the Universe and P = Pi. Let's assume that dR/dt = c
Therefore

dS/dt = (k/4 L^2) 8PRc = 2kPRc/ L^2

Since Hubble constant is 71 ± 4 (km/s)/Mpc

which gives a size of the Universe from the Earth to the edge of the visible universe. Thus R = 46.5 billion light-years in any direction; this is the comoving radius of the visible universe. (Not the same as the age of the Universe because of Relativity considerations)

Now I have trouble relating these facts to your equation H = C + S or maybe to the differential version dH = dC + dS. What do you  think? Can we push this further?

George