On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Charles <charlesrobertgood...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Feb 23, 9:02 am, Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> > But recent analysis produced by neuroimaging technologies has revealed
> something quite remarkable: a great deal of meaningful activity is occurring
> in the brain when a person is sitting back and doing nothing at all.
>
> The best way to come up with an idea or solve a problem is often to
> sleep on it, or to at least to take a break, maybe go for a walk and
> let your mind "idle". I used to find that cigarette breaks were very
> useful in my work as a software developer before I gave up smoking
> (now I have to enforce breaks), and in my attempts at writing a novel
> I often find that the way forward - resolving a scene, say - often
> comes to me if I happen to wake up in the middle of the night.
>
> Charles

There was a study on this a few years ago, which proves there is something
to the phenomenon:

http://www.scientificblogging.com/news_releases/sleep_on_it_debunked_unconscious_thought_no_better_than_thinking_through_tough_problems

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn8732

I think it is a little sensationalist, however, for new scientist to take
the fact that there is some base level of neural activity and assume that it
unlocks the key to Alzheimer's or consciousness, however.

Jason