On 5/3/2010 7:14 PM, Rex Allen wrote:
On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Brent Meeker<meeke...@dslextreme.com>  wrote:
That's assuming I believe some things are true in some absolute sense
  unrelated to usefulness.  I don't.
I am having the experience of seeing a red book.

But do you *believe* you are seeing a red book. You could be mistaken about that (in fact you've argued you're probably mistaken). No, you only believe that you are having an experience that is described as "seeing a red book". But I will concede you may have confidence in such a belief (provided you know what "see", "red", and "book" mean - which requires references that are less than certain). For myself I don't formulate such beliefs, although I suppose I could say, "I believe I am experiencing something that could be described as looking at a computer display." It doesn't seem to be useful to obtain certainty by giving up all reference. Is that what you are doing and that's why you regard your experiences as uncaused and not referring - so you can have certainty?

This is absolutely
true, regardless of usefulness - and regardless of whether I am
actually seeing a book or just hallucinating.  The experience exists,
even if the book doesn't.

I am NOT having the experience of seeing a blue pen.  This is also
absolutely true, even if I am suffering from "blind-sight" and there's
actually a blue pen here that I would react to correctly if pushed to
do so.

Truths about conscious experience are absolute truths, regardless of
what (if anything) generates the experience.

Just like there is no "red" in the world (in the sense that I
experience it), there is no "time" in the world (in the sense that I
experience it).

Time is like red.  Both only exist as aspects of experience.
But (according to you) that is the only way anything exists.  So time and
red exist if "exist" has any meaning at all.
When I say time and red are aspects of consciousness, I mean it in the
same way that a scientific realist means that spin is an aspect of an
electron.

Red and time are mathematical attributes in a model of consciousness?? Ok, what's the model?