On 13 Jul 2010, at 12:49, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 12 Jul 2010, at 20:27, Brent Meeker wrote:

On 7/12/2010 6:33 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

I don't think we can use reason to defeat reason.

What machines can do is to use reason to go beyond reason, and find some non provable or non rational truth.

What do you mean by a non-rational truth? A statement that is true but unprovable or a statement for which there is no evidence or is contrary to the preponderance of evidence, i.e. no reason to believe it true? I can understand using reason and experience to find statements that are true but unprovable (either axiomatically or empirically. But if we find a non-rational truth doesn't that mean finding some evidence for it and hence making it a rational truth?

By non rational I mean either (according to the context) just non provable.

Sorry: just read "By non rational I mean just non provable".

I was thinking of some nuances, but then I realize it would be more confusing than enlightening. I always use words in the most general sense, and I reason from that. Only when distinction have a role, I do introduce them. This is the essence of axiomatic thinking.