Numbers existed before people on this rock began to understand them.  If not
number of atoms in the universe, then the number of cells in organisms one
day prior to 10,000 years ago. or anything really, that had the potential to
be counted, one day prior to 10,000 years ago.

If all numbers are invented, then there is a largest number ever conceived
by a human, which we're a long way from but will be there still.

I know this isn't a proof, but there being a largest number strikes me as
wrong.  If my assumption that there is no largest number is correct, then
numbers are not invented.

Brent Meeker:
But there weren't an infinite number of atoms (or anything else).

The existence of infinite sets certainly is an assumption.
If you were to form a list of numbers relevant to this discussion, that list
either has the potential to stop one day, or the list will never be
complete.  The first case is equivalent to numbers being invented; the
second case is equivalent to numbers being not invented (ie, discovered).

My assumption is that there is no largest number.  That entails that numbers
are not invented as argued above.  Thus, the list will never be complete and
so my assumption implies that infinite sets exist, if only infinite set of
numbers.