On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 7:20 PM,  <smi...@zonnet.nl> wrote:
> QTI is trivially false, because it is a paradoxical result, similar to an
> alleged proof that 1 + 1 = 3. You don't need to check to proof to see that
> it must be wrong.

You could apply that exact same argument to any hypothesis that sounds
ridiculous to you.

> The reason why QTI is a paradoxical is because we have a finite memory. The
> class of all observers that can represent you is some finite set of machine
> states, so you can't have any memories that exceeds a certain limit.
> Therefore, "you" can't live forever, stay the same person who then also
> subjectively experiences an unbounded time evolution.

The paradox only exists if you disregard that he have the ability to
forget selectively. Since I have only lived a finite amount of time
and my memory is finite, there is a finite set of machine states that
is sufficient to represent "me" (whatever that means). I could
conceivably live forever and selectively forget, while always
maintaining the core states that preserve my identity.