On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 04:42:46PM -0400, Rex Allen wrote:
>>
>> How can any of those questions be approached by conscious entities in
>> a deterministic computational framework?
>>
>> Everything you’ll ever learn, every mistake you’ll ever make, every
>> belief you’ll ever have is already locked in.
>>
>> Your life is “on rails”.  Maybe your final destination is good, maybe
>> it’s bad - but both the destination and the path to it are static and
>> fixed in Platonia.
>
> This is provably false.

What, exactly, are you claiming is provably false?

> One of Bruno's important results is 3-determinism
> implies 1-indeterminism.

This is sort of anti-climactic after your initial statement.

One of Bruno's important results is that if my future is determined,
in some sense it's not determined "for me" as an individual.

> It is not that hard to get, so would be worth your
> while trying to understand.

I think I understand this already.  The whole teleporting
moscow-washington thing, right?

In Platonia, there are many computational paths that branch out from
the current state that represents "me".

Each of these paths looks like a "possible future" from my subjective
standpoint.

But, they're not possible, they're actual.  In Platonia, they all
exist.  And they do so timelessly...so they're not "futures" they're a
series of "nows".

So, subjectively, I have the "illusion" of an undetermined "future".

But...really, it's determined.  Every one of those paths is
objectively actualized.

So how does this prove what I said false?  All those static "futures"
are mine.  They're all determined.  I'm still on rails...it's just
that the rails split in a rather unintuitive way.

Even if we say that what constitutes "me" is a single unbranched
path...this still doesn't make what I said false.  I'm one of those
paths, I just don't know which.  But ignorance of the future is not
indeterminism.  Ignorance of the future is ignorance of the (fully
determined)
future.

Rex