On 23 Jul 2011, at 00:25, meekerdb wrote:

On 7/22/2011 2:55 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
I'm saying that if you kept randomly replaced neurons it would
eventually look like dementia or some other progressive brain wasting
disease.

But that's contradicting your assumption that the "pegs" are transparent to the neural communication:

"If the living
cells are able to talk to each other well through the prosthetic
network, then functionality should be retained"

Whatever neurons remain, even it it's only the afferent/efferent ones, they get exactly the same communication as if there were no "pegs" and the whole brain was neurons.

If it were possible to spare certain areas or categories of
neurons then I would expect more of a fragmented subject whose means
of expression are intact, but who may not know what they are about to
express. A partial zombie, being fed meaningless instructions but
carrying them out consciously, if involuntarily. Of course, there may
be all kinds of semantic dependencies which would render someone
comatose before it ever got that far. If i remove all vowels from my
writing there is a certain effect. If i remove all of the verbs there
is another, if i switch to 50% chinese it's different from going 50%
binary, etc. You would have to experiment to find out but i think the
success would hinge as much on reraining organic composition as
reproducing logical characteristics.

You're evading the point by changing examples.

It does raise in my mind an interesting pont though. These questions are usually considered in terms of replacing some part of the brain (a neuron, or a set of neurons) by an artificial device that implements the same input/output function. It then seems, absent some intellect vitale, that the behavior of that brain/person would be unchanged. But wouldn't it be likely that the person would suffer some slight impairment in learning/memory simply because the artificial device always computes the same function, whereas the biological neurons grow and change in response to stimuli. And those stimuli are external and cannot be forseen by the doctor. So what he needs to implant is not just a fixed function but a function that depends on the history of its inputs (i.e. a function with memory).

That would just mean that the neuronal level is too much high for being the substitution level. Better to chose the DNA and metabolic level.

Bruno