On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2:04 pm, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >And they apparently sympathize with the desires of electrons, as Galvani
> >discovered with frog legs.
>
> That's a good point. It's still the muscle tissue contracting itself
> even though it's no longer part of a living frog. I wonder how dead
> muscle tissue can be and still respond? I'm guessing that a cooked
> frog leg doesn't do the dance, nor would a dried up mummified frog
> leg. I wonder too how controllable the leg would be with raw
> electrical impulse or whether it just flails.

My guess would be that if the charges could be controlled sufficiently
enough that individual nerves could be stimulated, you could produce
controlled movement.

> But yeah, muscle tissue likes to party I guess. It doesn't care
> whether the music comes from the brain or a galvanized scalpel. If it
> were the same for brain tissue, I'm guessing that strokes would be
> reversible with a fresh battery.
>
> I think that electrons are a way of modeling the exterior behavior of
> the sensorimotive nature of matter on the molecular level. I'm not
> sure that they exist independently of groups of atoms, might be more
> like a measure of how wound up an atom can be.

So what about electrons in wires or silicon?  Do they become less or more
"sensorimotive" depending on their conductive medium?

> >This is just racism.
> Haha. No inorganic semiconductor is going to eat in my steakhouse. We
> don't serve their kind.

LOL

In seriousness though, if your theory became widely adopted it could lead to
the enslavement of intelligent machines.  The claims made by the machines
that they *are* conscious, and *do* feel would be written off as kinks in
their programming.

Imagine if the situation were reversed, and the machines concluded that only
silicon can yield consciousness.  What could we humans say or do to dissuade
them?

Jason