On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nice. You're making my point though. We would have no clue that our
> brains could think by the exterior behavior of the neurons it's made
> of. It's only because we are our brains that we know it is the case
> that groups of neurons do think and feel. Therefore, designing
> something based upon only what our brain appears to us to be doing
> (not much...  just another interesting organ in the body doing it's
> cell/organ things) doesn't mean that the thinking and feeling is going
> to show up by itself. If we could modify our own minds first to be
> able to see and feel the thoughts and feelings of another brain, then
> we would be more likely to be able to tell whether we were on the
> right track in designing a deep AGI. Without that sense, we're like
> blind people comparing the beauty of the pictures we've painted -
> insisting that if it feels like the Mona Lisa to touch then there's no
> reason why it couldn't look exactly like the Mona Lisa. You need the
> right brushstrokes, definitely, but if you can't see the color of the
> paint and do it all in black it doesn't much matter.

1. You agree that is possible to make something that behaves as if
it's conscious but isn't conscious.

2. Therefore it would be possible to make a brain component that
behaves just like normal brain tissue but lacks consciousness.

3. And since such a brain component behaves normally the rest of the
brain should be have normally when it is installed.

4. So it is possible to have, say, half of your brain replaced with
unconscious components and you would both behave normally and feel
that you were completely normal.

If you accept the first point, then points 2 to 4 necessarily follow.
If you see an error in the reasoning can you point out exactly where
it is?

--
Stathis Papaioannou