On Aug 16, 10:08 am, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Our body precisely follows the deterministic biochemical reactions
> that comprise it. The mind is generated as a result of these
> biochemical reactions; a reaction occurs in your brain which causes
> you to have a thought to move your arm and move your arm. How could it
> possibly be otherwise?

It's not only possible, it absolutely is otherwise. I move my arm. I
determine the biochemical reactions that move it. Me. For my personal
reasons which are knowable to me in my own natural language and are
utterly unknowable by biochemical analysis. It's hard for me to accept
that you cannot see the flaw in this reasoning.

"Why did the chicken cross the road?" For deterministic biochemical
reactions.
"Why did the sovereign nation declare war?" For deterministic
biochemical reactions.
"What is the meaning of f=ma"? For deterministic biochemical
reactions.

Biochemistry is just what's happening on the level of cells and
molecules. It is an entirely different perceptual-relativistic
inertial frame of reference. Are they correlated? Sure. You change
your biochemistry in certain ways in your brain, and you will
definitely feel it. Can you change your biochemistry in certain ways
by yourself? Of course. Think about something that makes you happy and
your cells will produce the proper neurotransmitters. YOU OWN them.
They are your servant. To believe otherwise is to subscribe to a faith
in the microcosm over the macrocosm, in object phenomenology over
subject phenomenology to the point of imaging that there is no
subject. The subject imagines it is nothing but an object. It's
laughably tragic.

In order to understand how the universe creates subjectivity, you have
to stop trying to define it in terms of it's opposite. Objectivity
itself is a subjective experience. There is no objective experience of
subjectivity - it looks like randomness and self-similarity feedback.
That's a warning. It means - 'try again but look in the other
direction'.

Craig