On 8/17/2011 7:01 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On Aug 17, 2:16 am, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:

On 8/16/2011 10:51 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
Molecules in a live brain behave differently
than those in a dead brain. What is this force? Cumulative
entanglement. Significance. Negentropy. Sense.
It already has had a name for a long time: elan vital.
Elan vital is an imaginary substance. Sense is an ordinary principle
that can be observed on every level of perception.

Elan vital is what you get when you try to shoehorn experiential
private qualitative phenomena in time into observable public
quantitative phenomena in space. If you turn it upside down it looks
just like a photon.

Hi,

Could it be that there is a bit of a category error in the idea of elan vital in that emergent behavior is being considered as a 'separate and independent' substance? This kind of error, prevanent in many philosophers ideas (highlighted by Descartes), seems to still haunt us. I think that we seriously need to reconsider the entire idea of "substance". Bruno's point about substance is very valid, IMHO.

Onward!

Stephen