On Aug 21, 12:35 pm, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
> On 21 Aug 2011, at 14:43, Craig Weinberg wrote:

> > That's why the mechanist position is critically flawed as a
> > cosmological-ontological TOE. It amputates the 1p definition of life -
> > which only marginally has to do with reproduction (I don't have kids,
> > so I'm disqualified from being 3-p 'alive'.) Life is about feeling
> > like you want to avoid dying, and that feeling is SIGNIFICANT.
>
> This means only that you put consciousness or 1-p in life.

No, it means that I put 1-p in experience, and life as specific
category of experience. Consciousness is a general term that isn't all
that helpful. I like awareness or feeling. And yes, I put feeling in
life, because it really has no place in an inorganic world. If all of
your actions are pre-programmed, feeling is really superfluous. Our
intuition is that killing an ant is less significant than burning down
a house full of people. I think that intuition has validity. An ant
may or may not be any more 'conscious', but whatever it is less of
than a human being is the same thing that a computer program is less
of, to us at least.

> That is just a matter of definition.
> I would not have consecrated my life to the study or consciousness if
> it was to amputate the notion of first person, which, on the contrary,
> I extend to number relations and program executions.

So you extend 1-p to numbers but not to life. I used to extend 1-p to
numbers, so I can understand that. I am ok with Platonic primitives,
but of course, I see other kinds of sense as primitive as well;
privacy, detection, participation, etc.

> > It's
> > also about flourishing in whatever way you can - to feel like you are
> > thriving. I would go so far as to say that all organisms experience
> > this and that no inorganic materials experience this.
>
> No materials at all experience things. Only persons, in a large sense
> (not just humans, but animals, and angels, perhaps the plants, on some
> scale).
>

> > That's not to say that inorganic materials experience nothing,
>
> Which makes everything alive/conscious.
> I know you do that. It is your panpsychism. I don't buy it.

No, it doesn't. It just gives perception a plausible ancestor in
detection. They don't experience something like we experience
something, all that is necessary is that everything experience just a
little bit more than nothing. Otherwise, if you exterminate all of the
living beings on the few billion planets that might have them, then
you are left with a vast cosmos of countless astrophysical wonders yet
has no experience. No wonders. An undetectable abyss. How do you get
from that void of utter intangible absence of experience to even a
single flicker of awareness is an insurmountable gap. Sense cannot
come from non-sense. It is not invented, as you might say, it is
discovered.

> > I would
> > hazard to guess that there is a bit of a blurred line with things like
> > crystal growth and virus transmission where the degree of
> > sensorimotive articulation approaches that of organic life - but my
> > sense is that it is likely more sterile and mathematical. More of a
> > monotonous drive in the sense of playing Solitaire or a turn based
> > computer game or weaving an endless patterned rug.
>
> What you say informs me on Craig's first person, not on what is
> matter, and what is consciousness.

Sure, it's pure speculation on my part, but I'm not making it up. If I
had to guess which was more rowdy and emotional, I would choose the
dog and not the geode. Wouldn't you?

Craig