On 26 Sep 2011, at 01:35, meekerdb wrote:

On 9/25/2011 11:28 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
I mentioned QM only to mentioned a computer emulable theory of molecules. I find quite possible that QM explains biochemistry, given the incredible theory of chemistry the SWE equation allow (molecules and the electronic shape of atoms is really what QM explains the most elegantly and successfully, but this is besides my point).

But you are coherent: if you want materialism, you will need a non turing emulable theory of matter, and of mind. Good luck, because it needs already some amount of work to conceive something not Turing emulable in math, and in physics, it is even more difficult.

But QM is based on complex numbers over the reals, which are already not Turing emulable.

QM does not use non constructive or non computable numbers. The use of real numbers is just the usual simplification. In the application it does not matter if we use real or rational numbers (real numbers are not observed in nature, how could we?).

A non computable physical phenomena would be like e^iCt, with C a precise non computable numbers (like Chaitin's omega, for example). If we are machine, we cannot distinguish a non computable phenomena from a very complex (more complex than us) computable phenomena.