Jon,  (nihil0)

On 28 Sep 2011, at 01:18, nihil0 wrote:

On Sep 27, 2:46 am, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

I think Daniel Dennett's book "Elbow Room" is an excellent defense of compatibilist free
will and why it is the only kind worth having.

Great suggestion. The wikipedia page was fairly informative, but I'll
probably buy the book anyway. From what I gather, he believes the kind
of free will worth wanting is the appearance (or illusion) that we can
control our behavior to a large extent. I agree with him that we don't
want to be uncaused causes (or uninfluenced influences) of events,
which is how quantum particles appear to behave (i.e.,
stochastically).

"Everything that is physically possible" is not very well defined. And in any case it doesn't follow that in an infinite universe everything possible must happen infinitely many times. For example it might be that almost all universes are uninteresting and
barren and only a finite number are interesting like ours.

Technically I think you are right. However, I was only talking about
an infinite universe likes ours that operates in accordance with the
laws of quantum physics. Let me explain by using what I've read of
Victor Stenger and Brian Greene. There are three ingredients in the
argument that all quantum-physical possibilities in our universe
happen infinitely many times. 1) There is an infinite number of Hubble
volumes in our universe, which are all casually disconnected (as the
theory of inflation implies). 2) There is a limit on how much matter
and energy can exist within a region of space of a given size, such as
a Hubble volume. 3) There is only a finite number of possible
configurations of matter, due to the Uncertainty Principle.

I can explain any of these ingredients in more depth if you'd like me
to, but I hope you see that they lead to the conclusion that all
quantum-physical possibilities in our universe are realized infinitely
many times.

Bruno you say, "To have everything happening, you need the universe
being infinitely big, but also homogenous, and robust enough for
making possible gigantic connections and gigantic computations, etc."
I thought that physicists have observed our universe to be homogenous
on very large scales, but perhaps I'm mistaken. See the Cosmological
Principal  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_principle.

I don't assume physics.
But, although it is not relevant for my point, it is not clear for me that the cosmological principle makes a UD possibly running in the universe. Such a physical UD has to be *very* demanding in physical space and time. But a concrete universe with a UD is an hypothesis which is used for pedagogical purpose only. The step 8 (MGA) eliminates that assumption.

MGA = the Movie graph argument. I explained it in this list:
http://www.nabble.com/MGA-1-td20566948.html#a20566948

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "robust enough for making
possible gigantic connections and gigantic computations, etc."

Imagine a program with 10^(10^(10^ ..... < repeated a billion times> ...) instructions. And this, for a logician, is still a very tiny little number. yet to store it in a machine in such a way that the program will do what it is supposed to do, you need more than a homogenous universe, you need a way to avoid systematically black holes, star explosion, etc.

but
perhaps the following explanation will be helpful. During the
inflation right before the Big Bang, all of the now disconnected
Hubble volumes were squeezed together and could affect each other.
Brian Greene says they conducted a variety of cosmic handshakes,
establishing, for example, a uniform temperature.

The UD argument does not presuppose any physical laws. Just a minimal amount of physical reality (but not that such a physical reality is primitive).

Best,

Bruno

Cheers,

Jon