On 9 October 2011 14:37, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>> Can you find any number(s) flying around
>> that has any claim to an internal view right now?
>
> Yes. Although the number per se, like programs and brains, will refer only
> to the relations that the 1-person associated with that number can have. A
> person is not a brain, not a body, not a number, not anything 3-describable.
> But we can bet on brains, numbers, etc. as tool for being able to manifest
> ourself relatively to each other.

Very succinctly put.  However, speaking as a (grateful!) survivor of
many conversations on this topic, on this list, over the years, I
would venture to suggest that confusion about, or even ignorance of,
the very distinctions you draw in the above remark are responsible for
many of the more commonly encountered (perhaps simplistic)
misunderstandings of your ideas.  I know that you have (indefatigably)
attempted to explain, in various places, the distinctively different
roles of the various concepts you mention above - i.e. programs,
numbers, persons, brains, bodies and what have you.  However, it still
seems to be the case that various correspondents are quite confused
(and indeed differently confused) about what motivates this particular
approach in the first place, why and how the entities and roles in
question then appear in the theory, and finally precisely how they are
related and matched up in terms of the theory. Of course, I realise
that these topics can all be studied in much more detail via your
published papers, but in terms of this list, how might one best set
out these motivations and distinctions for pedagogical purposes?

David