On Dec 22 2011, 12:18 pm, alexalex <alexmka...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
> those objects yourself by using the widely known techniques of
> descriptive geometry (the same as the ones used by the 3D modeling
> software). But what point would that make when we already have
> computers that achieve this arduous task for us? Maybe living in a
> period of time without computers would make this easily relentless
> task one worth considering.
>
> So, we can basically take a virtual trip to whatever part of Rome we
> want by just jumping inside a CPOV provided to us by the software. We
> can see, experience what it is like to be in Rome by adopting whatever
> CPOV which will be calculated and drawn to us by this complex but 100%
> describable and understandable computer program. The software would be
> no mystery to us if we were sufficiently trained programmers,
> architects and mathematicians. The WIIL of experiencing Rome will
> never be a mystery to us also if we’ll let the 3D design software do
> the job of calculating and drawing the CPOV for us. Of course, as said
> above, we can achieve the same WIIL by making strenuous calculations
> and draw ourselves on sheets of paper exactly the same POV “painted”
> to us by the computer program. Whatever our choice one thing stands to
> pure reason: We will achieve to experience the what-it-is-likeness
> (WIIL) of Rome by deducing it from objective, third-party data that we
> can all share by accessing the program file that contains the 3D-model
> third-person description; so there is nothing special about it. The
> whole point is that the experience of the WIIL can be achieved and
> built by/for us using third-person data). The WIIL only seems to be
> some kind of metaphysical thing because of its circumstantial
> relatedness with the idiosyncrasies of the POV. No need to squander
> energy contriving not-worth-considering meanings because of this
> relatedness. The WIIL is the intentional interpretation of the
> mathematical description of the physical objects' properties and
> relationships to each other which the POV describes; it is the
> richness and detail of the description of the POV taken as a whole by
> whatever is on the other side of the lens. On the other hand the POV
> can be accounted for by its mathematical and geometrical description;
> it’s all data, 0s and 1s. The WIIL and the POV represent the same
> thing but each are different interpretations of a specific slice of
> the 3D model: one is a reducible, mathematical and geometric
> description of a set of objects and how their would appear from a
> certain vantage point (i.e. the POV), the other one is the non-
> reducible, intentional, apparently immediate interpretation of all
> that data contained in the POV taken as a whole. The WIIL is all
> accounted for, we know all about it: how it comes to existence, how it
> is 100% physical but non-reducible because of its intentionality, and
> how the circumstantial relation to its POV makes it seem as if it’s
> something separate from it but that's an illusion.

So? if you are in the business of sayig that qualia are mysterious
and non phsycial. obviously you would reject such a theory.

> They don’t even try to brainstorm ideas about such a theory.
> How are we to explain this what-it-is-likeness (WIIL) if we can't
> subject it to what science has been and will always be? Third-party
> analysis. So, here it is: Qualia, one of the last remaining unresolved
> quandaries for us to splinter and rise on the pedestals of science,
> but we must stop, qualophiles say, because, .... “Because what?” I
> ask. “Because the what-it-is-likeness of qualia” most of them will
> respond. And believe me that is the whole argument from which they
> sprout all of the other awkward deductions and misconstrued axioms if
> we are to succinctly resume their rigorous, inner-gut, “aprioristic
> analysis”. I'll try to expose the absurdity of their stance

A stance is absurd if it contradicts facts. But all you have
is speculation.

> by making
> some analogies while telling the story of how architects and designers
> build 3D models of reality with the help of 3D modeling software.
>
> The what-it-is-likeness (WIIL) of points-of-view (POVs) in our model

You haven;t established that there is WIL-ness of the human
kind in the model, or that human WIL-ness works like
geometical POVs. All you can say is that if it does,
then there is no mystery of qualia.

=
> Something on privateness now. The WILL is only private in the sense
> that only something which experiences a certain POV can experience its
> WIIL but that is all. Can this POV be shared with others? Of course.
> After we create that CPOV in the computer program we can save it to a
> file and send it via email to whatever part of the globe you want for
> someone else to experience its WIIL. So, the possibility of sharing it
> with others makes it a not very good candidate for privateness. POVs
> are only unique, but hardly private so let's not confuse the terms.
>
> The same reasons as above I should say go for the qualia of color,
> smells, etc.

Says who? If you could communicate them in some objectivese,
you cold prove your point. Otherwise it is just a hypothesis.

>So, I doubt there is any difference with these types of
> experiences. What it is like to see a color is just experiencing the
> complete model from a slice of the world from a certain POV.

Ditto. Maybe it is. maybe it isn;t.

>Why can't
> that POV be deduced and inferred from the widely agreed-upon,
> sufficient, scientific data

Do it then. You have a confirmable thesis
. But it isn't true until it is confirmed.

> as qualophiles’ plea for metaphysics
> suggest eludes me so far as i can see, so that's why the they haven't
> proved anything yet. I doubt they'll ever will. If we knew almost
> everything there is to know about the particles and forces that make
> up our world we could be able to build models of whatever brains we'd
> like that could experience all there is to be possible designable as
> an experience.

There;s no guarantee that a model will experience anything in a WIL
sense. it isn't
guaranteed by functional adeuqacy. Flight simulators don;t fly.

> Well, if you remember the story of how architects create specific
> camera-points-of-view (CPOVs) inside their 3D modeling software in
> order to experience a certain point-of-view (POV) of whatever model of
> reality or of their imagination they are designing, maybe building
> color experience inside oneself without ever having experienced colors
> may not seem that unbelievable after all. Remember that RoboMary knows
> everything about the physical world there is to be known. Couldn't she
> simulate (that is by a third-person perspective of course) what the
> brain state of a Mark 19 robot would be upon experiencing colors using
> a computer model of this type of robot and subjecting it to a
> completely digital replica of a LCD monitor screen onto which the
> stolen colorized security videos would be projected onto?

She could. If colour qualia are computatioal,
the simulation will work. if they are more
like the abiity of a flight simulator to fly,
it won;t.  You just have a speculation there.
Intuiting in opposite directions to
qualiaphiles proves nothing.

> Some may retort that what may be a true fact for architecture and 3D
> computer modeling is not even close at explaining special phenomenal
> qualities like colors, pains, etc. But then again, why would that be a
> possibility worth taking into consideration?

Because we should not mistakes possibilities
for facts. Everything you have put forward
is only possibility.

>What qualia is, this what-
> it-is-likeness, is not something metaphysical (at least that is what
> we should a priori consider it if we ever wish to explain it),

Fine. Work on explaining it. If you succed you
will have proved your point. But qualiaphiles
aren't wrong because their guesses are
opposite to your guesses.