On 16 January 2012 18:08, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> I do not need an extra God or observer of arithmetical truth, to interpret
> some number relation as computations, because the numbers, relatively to
> each other, already do that task. From their view, to believe that we need
> some extra-interpreter, would be like to believe that if your own brain is
> not observed by someone, it would not be conscious.

I'm unclear from the above - and indeed from the rest of your comments
- whether you are defining interpretation in a purely 3p way, or
whether you are implicitly placing it in a 1-p framework - e.g. where
you say above "From their view".  If you do indeed assume that numbers
can have such views, then I see why you would say that they "interpret
themselves", because adopting the 1p view is already to invoke a kind
of "emergence" of number-epistemology.  But such an emergence is still
only a manner of speaking from OUR point of view, in that I can
rephrase what you say above thus: "From their view, to believe that
THEY need some extra-interpreter..." without taking such a point of
view in any literal sense.  Are you saying that consciousness somehow
elevates number-epistemology into "strong emergence", such that their
point of view and self-interpretation become indistinguishable from my
own?

David