On 1/19/2012 11:06 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
On 1/18/2012 11:13 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

If you look around you may still find species of scientists who
still are working with classical thermodynamics (search for example
for CALPHAD). Well, if you refer to them as physicists or not, it
is your choice. Anyway in experimental thermodynamics people
determine entropies, for example from CODATA tables

http://www.codata.org/resources/databases/key1.html

S ° (298.15 K) J K-1 mol-1

Ag cr 42.55 ą 0.20 Al cr 28.30 ą 0.10

Do you mean that 1 mole of Ag has more information than 1 mole of
Al at 298.15 K?

Yes, it has more internal degrees of freedom so that it takes
addition of more energy in order to increase those we measure as
temperature.

Could you please explain then why engineers do not use the CODATA/JANAF Tables to find the best material to keep information?

Because they are interested in information that they can insert and retrieve. I once invented write-only-memory, but it didn't sell. :-)

Brent

Evgenii

Brent

Also remember that at constant volume dS = (Cv/T) dT and dU = CvdT.

If the entropy is information then its derivative must be related
to information as well. Hence Cv must be related to information.
This however means that the energy also somehow related to
information.

Finally, the entropy is defined by the Second Law and the best
would be to stick to this definition. Only in this case, it is
possible to understand what we are talking about.

Evgenii