On 20.01.2012 02:34 Jason Resch said the following:
On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 7:33 AM, Craig
Weinberg<whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

On Jan 19, 4:56 am, Bruno Marchal<marc...@ulb.ac.be>  wrote:

Yes. Craig argue that machine cannot thinks by pointing on its
fridge.

Are you afraid to burn coal in your stove out of concern that
the material will sense being burned?

Yes. Craig's "theory" is a bit frightening with respect of this.
But of course that is not an argument. Craig might accuse you of
wishful thinking.

This is the same thing you accuse me of. I have never said that
coal is more alive than silicon, I don't even say that dead
organisms are more alive than silicon. I only say that to really
act *exactly* like a living thing, you need to feel like a living
thing, and to feel like a living thing you actually be a living
organism, which seems to entail cells made of carbohydrates, amino
acids, and water. Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, and Nitrogen. Not
Silicon or Germanium. Make a computer out of carbs, aminos, and
water and see what happens to your ability to control it as a
Turing machine.

Some have argued that cars are alive.  They evolve, consume, move,
reproduce and so on.  While they are dependent on humans for
reproduction, we too depend on a a very specific environment to
reproduce.  Much like viruses.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lee_cronin_making_matter_come_alive.html

Jason

A nice video. Thanks for a link. Yet, it is unclear to me what is evolvable matter. In the lecture, the lector has several times said "cells compete" and indeed he needs a competition to come to evolution. However, in my view "a cells competes" is close to "a cell perceives" and what this exactly means is for me a puzzle. Let us think about this along the next series:

A rock – a ballcock in a toilet – an automatic door – a self-driving car - a cell.

When competition comes into play? Does a self-driving car already competes? Does a ballcock competes? What does it actually mean "a cells competes"?

Evgenii