On 28.01.2012 11:20 Russell Standish said the following:
On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 08:58:54AM +0100, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
On 27.01.2012 23:46 Russell Standish said the following:
For one thing, it indicates to storing just two bits of
information on these physical substrates is grossly inefficient!

Well, you could contact governments then and try to convince them
that coins in use are highly inefficient. It would be a good
chance to have funding.

Chuckle. Maybe we can persuade them to get behind bitcoin :).

By the way, at what temperature there will be possible to save
more information, at higher or at lower one.

What does this mean?

Let us take a hard disk. Can I save more information on it at higher or lower temperatures?

Brent and John are talking about the entropy and the higher
temperature the higher the entropy.

True. But information has no such relationship with temperature,
other than that the maximum possible value for information increases
with temperature.

Remember the equation S+I = S_max. S_max obviously increases with
temperature. So usually does S, but S can be decreased by
organisation of the matter - by the input of information.

From an engineering viewpoint it looks a bit strange.

> How so?

If engineers would take the statement "the maximum possible value for information increases with temperature" literally, they should operate a hard disk at higher temperatures (the higher the better according to such a statement). Yet this does not happens. Do you know why?

In general we are surrounded devices that store information (hard discs, memory sticks, DVD, etc.). The information that these devices can store, I believe, is known with accuracy to one bit. Can you suggest a thermodynamic state which entropy gives us exactly that amount of information?

Here would be again a question about temperature. If I operate my memory stick in some reasonable range of temperatures, the information it contains does not change. Yet, the entropy in my view changes.

So these are my doubts for which I do not see an answer.

Evgenii