On 2/28/2012 5:19 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

2012/2/28 Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net <mailto:stephe...@charter.net>>

    On 2/28/2012 10:43 AM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:
    Comp substitute "consciousness"... such as you could not feel any
    difference (in your consciousness from your POV) if your brain
    was substituted for a digital brain.

     Hi Quentin,

        OK, but could you elaborate on this statement?

It means an hypothetical "you" after mind uploading would feel as conscious as you're now in your biological body, and you would steel *feel* and feel being you and conscious and all...

Hi Quentin,

We need to nail down exactly what continuity of self is. if there is no "you", as Brent wrote yesterday, what is that which is invariant with respect to substitution?

    Is the differentiation that one _might_ feel, given the wrong
    substitution level, different from what _might_ occur if a
    "digital uploading" procedure is conducted that fails to generate
    complete continuity?

It depends on the wrongness of the substitution or the lack of continuity... it's not binary outcome.

At some point it would have to be, for a digital system has a fine grained level of sensitivity to differences, no? I am trying to nail down the details of this idea.

    Those "does not feel any difference" terms are a bit ambiguous and
    vague, IMHO.

    Digital physics says that the whole universe can be substituted
    with a program, that obviously imply comp (that we can substitue
    your brain with a digital one), but comp shows that to be
    inconsistent, because comp implies that any piece of matter is
    non-computable... it is the limit of the infinities of
    computation that goes through your consciousness current state.

        Can you see how this would be a problem for the entire digital
    uploading argument if functional substitution cannot occur in a
    strictly classical way, for example by strictly classical level
    measurement of brain structure?

Yes, and if it is, it is a big indication that comp is somehow wrong...

AFAIK, it would only prevent the continuation of the idea that "we are only that which is within our skin". We might finally escape from the modular clock world of gears and levers that the Parminidean and Newtonian world view entails.

    Any dependence of consciousness on quantum entanglement will
    prevent any form of digital substitution. This might not be a bad
    thing for Bruno's ontological argument - as it would show that 1p
    indeterminacy is a function or endomorphism of entire "universes"
    in the many-worlds sense - but would doom any change of
    immortality via digital uploading.

Sure, but if the level is that down... then even if it is still compatible with comp, for all practical purposes, it's the same as if it was wrong...

I am not so sure. I think that the way that QM systems are linear will still allow substitution, but not in the usual way of thinking. The problem that I see is the lack of understanding of QM's implications.

Onward!

Stephen