On 2/29/2012 12:10 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

2012/2/29 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>>

    On 2/29/2012 10:59 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
    Comp says the exact contrary: it makes matter and physical processes not
completely
Turing emulable.

    But it makes them enough TE so that you can yes to the doctor who proposes
    replace some part of your brain (which is made of matter) with a Turing
emulation of it?

The turing emulation is not of the matter but of the mind... Computationalism, is the theory that the mind is some sort of information processor... the brain made of matter is just an UTM... any UTM could do the job, the emulation is not of the brain made of matter but of the consciousness.

But suppose I'm only replacing a small part of my brain. There's on reason to suppose that part, by itself, is conscious. Consciousness is supposed to be realized by the computation that the brain is doing. So the question becomes, at what level of fidelity must I emulate that piece of brain I'm going to replace. One answer would be at the lowest possible level, i.e. emulate the quarks and electrons and vacuum field fluctuations, then I'll be sure to survive with consciousness unchanged. But that's emulating the matter of that piece of my brain, which Bruno says is not completely emulable. If that can't be done, why should I believe there is any level that I should say 'yes' to?

Brent

Quentin

    Brent
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups