Stephen,

The life is full of paradoxes. My point was that while philosophers cannot solve apparently simple problems (well, these problems happen not to be simple), engineers continue doing their business successfully. How they do it? I believe, exactly this way, they try to understand what they do not know. Then they make trials, run tests, etc. and finally with some luck we get a new technology. Whether the theory of everything exists or not, happens not be essential for the success in engineering. I do not know why.

Right now I am at the end of Beweistheorien (Proof Theories) by Prof Hoenen

http://www.podcasts.uni-freiburg.de/podcast_content?id_content=24

At the end of his course, he considers the ontological arguments where the goal was to proof existence from pure logic. A pretty interesting attempt. Still there is a huge gap between logic and existence and it seems that engineers successfully fills it. Ask them, how they do it.

Evgenii