2012/3/12 Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net>

> [...]
>>>
>>> I am mot exactly sure of what you mean by "indexical".
>>>
>> Your current state, time, location, birth place, brain state, etc are
>> indexicals. The (observed) laws of physics are also indexicals, unless you
>> can show that either only one possible set of laws of physics is possible
>> or you just assume that (for example, in a primary matter hypothesis).
>>

>>  As to brain
>>> surgery in VR, why not? All that is needed is rules in the program that
>>> control the 1p experience of content to some states in game structures.
>>>
>> Our brains are made of matter and if we change them, our experience
>> changes. In a VR, the brain's implementation is assumed external to the VR,
>> if not, it would be a digital physics simulation, which is a bit different
>> (self-contained). It might be possible to change your brain within the VR
>> if the right APIs and protocols are implemented, but the brain's
>> computations are done externally to the VR physics simulation (at a
>> different layer, for example, "brain" program is ran separately from
>> "physics" simulation program) . There's some subtle details here - if the
>> brain was computed entirely through the VR's physics, UDA would apply and
>> you would get the VR's physics simulation's indeterminacy (no longer a
>> simulation, but something existing on its own in the UD*), otherwise, the
>> brain's implementation depends on the indeterminacy present at the upper
>> layer and not of the VR's physics simulation. This is a subtle point, but
>> there would be a difference in measure and experience between simulating
>> the brain from a digital physics simulation and external to it. In our
>> world, we have the very high confidence belief that our brains are made of
>> matter and thus implemented at the same level as our reality. In a VR, we
>> may assume the implementation of our brains as external to the VR's physics
>> - experienced reality being different from mind's body (brain) reality.
>>

> Hi,
>
>    Umm, this looks like you are making a difference between a situation
> where your P.o.V. os "stuck" 'in one's head" and a P.o.V. where it is free
> to move about. Have you ever played a MMORPG game? These two situations are
> just a matter of the programs parameters... Again, what makes the virtual
> reality "virtual"? I claim that it is only because there is some other
> point of view or stance that is taken as "real" such that the virtual
> version is has fewer detail and degrees of freedom. If a sufficiently
> powerful computer can generate a simulation of a physical world, why can it
> not simulate brains in it as well? Some people think that minds are just
> "something that the brain does", so why not have a single program
> generating all of it - brains and minds included?
>    My problem is that I fail to see how the UD and indeterminacy given
> copy and paste operations is involved in this question.
>
> Copy and paste operation are there to illustrate indeterminacy... The
indetermincay given the UD exists, is always there, at each step, you can
branch in one (infinity) of the infinity of computations that are below
your substitution level that diverge. Your next moment is indeterminate in
that sense, without involving copy/paste... Exactly the same thing as in
the multiple world interpretation settings.