On 4/3/2012 11:03 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On Apr 2, 11:21 pm, Stathis Papaioannou<stath...@gmail.com>  wrote:

Dick could have the same doubts about any medical treatment short of
total brain replacement. Perhaps taking perindopril for hypertension
turns people into zombies.
The "same" doubts?  Really?
If philosophical zombies are possible then the behavioural test for
the presence of consciousness is invalid.
Behavioral tests for the presence of consciousness are invalid even if
philosophical zombies aren't possible. I cannot tell the difference
between a live video feed of a person and a recorded video of them.

But you can tell they aren't conscious. In fact, if you're good, you cantell they are videos and not people.

Brent

Any physical change to your
body could destroy your soul and neither you nor anyone else would
know.
In theory it could, but in practice that does not seem to be the case.
We feel strongly that our impressions of conscious beings reflect the
presence of consciousness such that we have no reason to doubt that
assumption unless we might be fooled by a simulation designed
expressly to fool our perception. That would be a puppet, not a
zombie.

It might seem reasonable to assume that zombification is more
likely with a more extreme brain change but if there is an immaterial
soul you can't really say this, and maybe eating a ham sandwich is
just as bad as brain replacement.
major antipsychotics can push a person pretty close to being a zombie.
Shock, trauma, sleepwalking...lots of ways that bodies can perform
many human functions without having fully human awareness.

Craig