On 10 Jul 2012, at 23:33, Stephen P. King wrote:

Hi John,

What I have been doing is exploring the soft underbelly of physics, those sets of "truths" that are just assumed to be true. For example, I have become convinced that a lot of the difficulties in physics are due to its assumption that "substance" is primitive. There is even an entire article in the online Stanford encyclopedia on the notion of substance and therein is laid out the problems for all to see, never-the-less science staggers on, assuming that "stuff" is the explanation to every phenomena. The Higgs boson is, IMHO, yet another example of the "stuff" mentality. The alternative is to consider that "process" is primitive; that all forms of "stuff" are, ultimately, the result of some underlying process; there is no such thing as primitive stuff! You can see how this kinda dovetails with Bruno's anti- materialism and yet he seems to just fall over into "immaterial" stuff. :_(

Where?

Bruno

With process we can get some interesting hints of answers to many of these questions that vex us so such as the nature of time and even consciousness. Logic is recast in terms of interactive game theory (ala Jaakko Hintikka) and physics becomes a question of how spaces evolve relative to each other (this is already been understood every since Lagrange and Hamilton).

It all really boils down to "belief systems" as you wisely point out. :-)