On 7/11/2012 1:50 PM, John Clark wrote:
A new particle has certainly been found and in the unlikely event it is not the Higgs the response of most physicists would not be "oh, no" but pure delight because then it is something unexpected and even more exotic than the Higgs helping us find new knowledge. If 15 years from now the LHC finds the Higgs and nothing else then they would say "oh,no" because it would have only found what was expected to find, the discovery that the Higgs did not exist would be much more exciting.

 John K Clark
Hi John,

I profoundly disagree. What was found was a curve when the raw data was graphed in a particular way. There is no proof that this curve is uniquely representational of some "particle". The point of the "Oh, no!" is, IMHO, an illustration of the problem of a bias toward a particular measurement basis. We simply are ignoring the fact that QM is telling us that Nature does not have a preference for any particular measurement basis. We humans do indeed have a bias due to our over-dependence on our binocular vision when it comes to our imaginations of the basic properties of our universe.

--
Onward!

Stephen

~ Francis Bacon