On 7/11/2012 10:36 AM, John Clark wrote:

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru <mailto:use...@rudnyi.ru>> wrote:

    > In Germany theology still belongs to universities. What I like is that
you will
    find as a department of theoretical theology as well as a department of
practical
    theology.

I disagree, I don't like it. You are assuming that there exists a organized field of knowledge called "theology", but I can not find the slightest evidence that is in fact true. Lawrence Krauss said that it is his habit to ask every theologian he meets "what advances in theology have been made in the last 400 years?", but he has never received a straight answer from a single one of them, the best he has gotten was "what do you mean by advances?". A expert in mathematics or physics or biology or literature or ANY other field would not give a weasel answer like that, they'd just rattle off a list of advances, but not theology. He also said he was on a panel at a college and somebody asked another scientist there why there is something rather than nothing and the scientist said "that's a question to ask the head of the theology department not me", but Krauss said "why ask him rather than the college gardener or plumber or cook?". I have no answer to Krauss's question because like him I think that where theology is concerned there is no expertise and no field.

  John K Clark

In fact one might say that IS the advance in theology over the last 400yrs: It has no subject matter. Of course Bruno wants "theology" to mean something different than any dictionary definition.