On 7/13/2012 12:44 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 12 Jul 2012, at 22:08, meekerdb wrote:

In Dennett's conception 'free will' is just a marker for responsibility; hence his aphorism, "You can avoid responsibility for everything if you just make yourself small enough." So where one person might say, "Yes, it was me. I did it." another might say, "I didn't do it of my own free will. I was coerced by threats of being fired." and yet another might say, "I didn't do it. It was just the result of deterministic or random physical processes in my brain and body."

The last answer does not make sense. He could have said : "I didn't do it, God did it". He imposes his philosophical conception on the situation. But there is no problem, we can send him in jail, and assure him that we too just obey the same equation.

Exactly Dennett's point.