Hi Y,

Wrong.  Monads are simply agebraic terms, and Yasue discusses them accordingly.
He could have called his paper "quantum algebra" instead of "quantum monadology"

http://cognet.mit.edu/posters/TUCSON3/Yasue.html

Roger , rclo...@verizon.net
8/7/2012 Is life a cause/effect activity  ?
If so, what is the cause agent ?

Receiver: MindBrain
Time: 2012-08-06, 20:37:19
Subject: [Mind and Brain] Re: Monads are like Turing machines and can
beexpressed as quantum algebras

Yasue is not talking about the monads of Leibniz.
What he has done is to steal a concept
to give his work a sexy name.
Richard

--- In mindbr...@yahoogroups.com, "Roger " <rclough@...> wrote:

> Hi >
> Monads are no more physical than a Turing machine or quantum algebra.
> They have sometimes been compared to Turing macbhines, and
>
> In fact the monads are a type of quantum algebra :
>
> http://cognet.mit.edu/posters/TUCSON3/Yasue.html
>
> "I will briefly describe quantum monadology here; those who want to see the
> complete picture are invited to read the original paper by Teruaki Nakagomi
> (1992). For simplicity and brevity I will use minimal mathematical
> formulation.
> In quantum monadology the world is made of a finite number, say M, of quantum
> algebras called monads.There are no other elements making up the world, and
> so the world itself can be defined as the totality of M monads; W =
> .,A1,A2,...,AM.". The world Wis not space-time as is generally assumed in the
> conventional framework of physics; space-time does not exist at the
> fundamental level, but emerges from mutual relations among monads. This can
> be seen by regarding each monad Aias a quantum algebra and the world W =
> .,A1,A2,...,AM.." as an algebraically structured set of the quantum algebras
> called a tensor product of Mmonads. The mathematical structure of each
> quantum algebra representing each monad will be understood to represent the
> inner world of each monad. Correspondingly, the mathematical structure of the
> tensor product of Mmonads will be understood to represent the world Witself.
> To make the mathematical representation of the world of monads simpler, we
> assume each quantum algebra representing each monad to be a C* algebra A
> identical with each other, that is, Ai = A for all irunning from 1 to M.
> Then, the world can be seen as a C* algebra W identical with the Mth tensor
> power of the C* algebra A.
> It is interesting to notice that the world itself can be represented as the
> structured totality of the inner worlds of M monads. A positive linear
> functional defined on a C* algebra is called a state. The value of the state
> (i.e., positive linear functional) for an element of the C* algebra is called
> an expectation value. Any state of the C* algebra of the world W is said to
> be a world state, and any state of the C* algebra of each monad A is said to
> be an individual state. As the world state is a state of the worldW, it can
> be seen as the tensor power of the individual state. In addition to the
> individual state, each monad has an image of the world state recognized by
> itself; it is a world state belonging to each monad.
> The world states belonging to any two monads are mutually related in such a
> way that the world state belonging to the i-th monad can be transformed into
> that belonging to the j-th monad by a unitary representation of the Lorentz
> group or the Poincar? group. Identifying the world state belonging to each
> monad with the world recognized by the monad, the conventional representation
> [...]

<Snip>

Messages in this topic (2)
Recent Activity: New Members 3
Visit Your Group
 Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use.