From: Stephen P. King
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-21, 15:25:31
Subject: Re: Leibniz's theodicy: a nonlocal and hopefully best mereology

On 8/21/2012 12:19 PM, meekerdb wrote:

On 8/21/2012 4:10 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
Hi guys,

Neither CYM's nor strings physically exist-- instead, they represent things
that exist.
Anything in equation form is itself nonphysical, although the equations
might describe something physical.

The equations of string theory describe strings.  So how does it follow that
strings aren't real.  That's like saying a sentence that describes my house
shows that my house isn't real.

I agree that string theory (or any other theory) is a model of reality and not
reality itself.  But, if it's correct, it refers to reality or at least some
part of reality - like, "My house is green." refers to a part of reality, but
"My house is blue." does not.

Brent

    When and if string theory makes a prediction that is then found to have a
physical demonstration we might be more confident that it is useful as a
physics theory and not just an exercise in beautiful advanced mathematics. The
LHC is looking for such evidence...

For example, if I live at 23 Main street, 23 Main Street is not my house,
it is my address.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
8/21/2012

Onward!